Re: [Help-gsl] About invalid parameters in cblas implementation

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] About invalid parameters in cblas implementation
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:57:27 +0100

At Wed, 1 Jul 2009 20:30:17 +0200,
José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> But, in my opinion, the problem not is that the gsl cblas
> implementation check for the same error than refblas. The problem is
> that, if you link your code with no gsl cblas and you are using the
> returning codes in gsl for checking errors, if a cblas function
> fails you cannot catch the exception and the program stop (and the
> problem of not *freed* memory)

I've checked the BLAS papers again[1] and you are right, we should be
catching the other errors like M<0 listed there.  So we need to do two
things (i) add the checks for those errors and (ii) provide a way of
setting a custom cblas_xerbla function to avoid the hard-coded abort()
at least when using GSL CBLAS.  Let me know if these are things you
could help with. Thanks.

--
Brian Gough
(GSL Maintainer)