Re: [Help-gsl] Re: gsl c++ wrapper ?

From: John D Lamb
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Re: gsl c++ wrapper ?
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 20:39:16 +0100

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 09:05 -0500, Rodney Sparapani wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermos wrote:
> > If you're still interested, I may be interested too in writing a C++
> > wrapper for the GSL or in taking up maintenance of one of the existing
> > ones. I ended up writing my own wrappers anyways for most of the
> > linear algebra routines, and although a chore, wasn't particularly
> > difficult.
> >

> I'd love to see this code posted somewhere, perhaps as a GSL add-on.
> But, I'm surprised that you say it is not difficult.

> the other difficult part comes from designing/creating a practical OO
> interface which is time-consuming.

I’ve written some wrappers for GSL matrices and vectors and might can
help if someone has a suitable project.

While Rodney is right that there are some issues with creating a
practical OO interface, C++ is not the same as OO and OO is not the same
as operator overloading (assuming OO means object orientation).

Another approach to wrapping GSL functions for C++ is to use shared
pointers, namespaces and exceptions. Typically I might create a class
gsl::vector that is an extended shared pointer and whose member
functions look much like the original functions. The main benefit is not
having to deallocate memory explicitly and only once.

--
JDL