[Help-gsl] Numerical integration

From: Jonny Taylor
Subject: [Help-gsl] Numerical integration
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:38:27 +0100

Hi all,

My code needs to numerically integrate a function between known finite limits (which is what currently takes most of its run time), and I am trying to work out of any of the GSL routines can help with this. The function has a sort of carrier/envelope form:
f(x) = g(x) exp(i a x)
and I am trying to determine:
int(f(x), 0, x2)

g(x) is a function which has a known, fairly complicated, but well- behaved, analytical form (and it doesn't appear possible to even begin to symbolically integrate either f(x) or g(c))

At the moment I am just using a simple Simpson's rule to integrate it. The carrier frequency is not enormous, but is high enough frequency to require quite a few sample points. I feel that because of this specific form there ought to be some sort of shortcut or special technique that could separate out the "carrier wave", so that effectively all that needs to be sampled is the slowly-varying envelope. Can anyone suggest a suitable technique that I could use for this? (ideally one implemented in GSL, but I can code it up from scratch if required). Someone suggested to me that some sort of trick involving fourier transforms might help, but I haven't really got anywhere with that as yet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Jonny