Re: [Help-gsl] Binary installer for GSL-1.13 on MinGW

From: seb_kramm
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Binary installer for GSL-1.13 on MinGW
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 14:44:39 +0200

Great, thanks a lot. I was still using 1.8.
Just downloaded, and tried.

Some remarks:

With the previous release I used (see below), I did static linking with files libgsl.a and libgslcblas.a In your release, there appears to be only the latter file, and you provide a 'dll' version (libgsl.dll.a) for gsl. I tried to link with it, it went fine, but then you need to copy the two dll files in your windows/system32 in order to make things work. I did this, but it could be a problem for people with non-administrative access to their machines. Maybe the package could provide both type of libraries/linking methods? (the static libs aren't that big, anyway...)

And it could be a good idea to send your work to the people from the gnuwin32 project at sourceforge ?
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gsl.htm
As I get it, it's a kind of "central point" for gnu software windows binaries, and it's latest gsl build is 3 years old (although other packages there are much more recent!)

But still, thanks again for making this available. I'm a basic gsl user, and I presently don't have time to consider building it myself !

John Pye a écrit :
Hi all

I packaged an installer for GSL 1.13 on MinGW for anyone who might find
it useful. Basically, you can use this within MinGW/MSYS to avoid having
to build your own GSL from source.

http://ascendwiki.cheme.cmu.edu/Binary_installer_for_GSL-1.13_on_MinGW

Let me know if you have any feedback on this, either by email, or on the
wiki above.

Cheers
JP