Re: [Help-gsl] Constraints for B-spline breakpoints

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Constraints for B-spline breakpoints
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:33:25 -0600

Yes, as Rhys said, it shouldn't matter having more bspline coefficients
than data points, as bsplines don't really care about how many
data points you have. Its only when you try to least squares fit
the data to your coefficients that a problem can come up (as you
found in the svd error).

When you have a least squares model with more coefficients than data,
it is called "overdetermined", ie: you have more equations than
unknowns, and in general a solution will not exist for such a
system. Least squares, however, can be used to find an approximate
solution to such a system, however GSL does not currently implement
this case.

I think LAPACK may have support for overdetermined least squares
systems so that may be your best bet for now. I'm not aware of
any plans to implement the m > n case in GSL in the immediate
future.

Patrick Alken