[Help-gsl] Sobol Sequence

From: Roberts Ian
Subject: [Help-gsl] Sobol Sequence
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:12:14 -0000

To whom it may concern,

I have a query about the implementation of the Sobol sequence in GSL.  I
have been looking at using the capability and have compared it against
the routine in numerical recipes.  In GSL the first 1024 points in the
Sobol sequence (page 248 of the manual I have) do not resemble the
equivalent data in Numerical recipes in Fortran (page 300) when they
reference the same background papers.  From my own personal perspective
(I am not an expert in the area) the sequence in Numerical Recipes
appears to be more "random" than the GSL implementation which has
clustering and a set pattern.

If you have any background or insight in to this it would be
appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Ian

The information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and is intended solely for the intended
recipient(s).  The information in this communication may be
confidential and/or legally privileged.  Nothing in this e-mail is
intended to conclude a contract on behalf of QinetiQ or make QinetiQ
subject to any other legally binding commitments, unless the e-mail
contains an express statement to the contrary or incorporates a formal Purchase
Order.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be
monitored and recorded for business purposes including security, audit
and archival purposes.  Any response to this email indicates consent
to this.

Telephone calls to QinetiQ may be monitored or recorded for quality
control, security and other business purposes.

QinetiQ Limited
Registered in England & Wales: Company Number:3796233
Registered office: 85 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6PD, United Kingdom
Trading address: Cody Technology Park, Cody Building, Ively Road, Farnborough,
Hampshire, GU14 0LX, United Kingdom
http://www.qinetiq.com/home/notices/legal.html