Re: [Help-gsl] Renaming versions of the libraries?

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Renaming versions of the libraries?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:47:35 +0000

At Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:31:38 +0000,
Peter Rockett wrote:

> I am trying build a debug version of the library from source on Ubuntu
> 9.10.
>
> I can generate a debug version by adding the CFLAGS='-g' option to
> configure (which passes the -g flag to the compiler). That all works.
> But I want to rename the libraries as something different from the
> default - in other words, I want both release and debug versions to
> co-exist but with unique names. I have tried the configure option of
> --program-suffix=dbg (and --program-suffix='dbg') which I hoped would
> rename the generated libraries libgsldbg.*, etc. but this appears not to
> work. Have I misunderstood something here? Can anyone tell me how I
> rename versions of the libraries?

Hello,

As you found, there's no option for renaming libraries, only programs.
The simplest way to avoid conflicts is to build and install to a
different target directory, e.g. ./configure --prefix=/opt/gsl-1.13-debug

> BTW: Brian - It would be nice to have explicit instructions on how to
> generate debug versions in the INSTALL file. In my experience most other
> packages have a make option to do this; it took me some time to spot the
> configure options.

The situation is that GNU packages always compile with debugging (-g
-O2) by default, so it should not be necessary to make a separate
debugging version -- it's part of the GNU philosophy that anyone
should be able to examine any program on the system.  I've added a
note saying that to the INSTALL file.  Unfortunately many
distributions don't follow this approach.

--
Brian Gough