Re: [Help-gsl] Compatibility with old and new inline functions in GSL

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Compatibility with old and new inline functions in GSL
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:42:38 -0700

> So, this leads to the need to check for the version of GSL, and only if
> it is high enough to call #include <gsl/gsl_inline.h>; something along
> the lines of,
>
> #include <gsl_version.h>
> #if GSL_VERSION >= 1.13
> #include <gsl/gsl_inline.h>
> #else
> #define INLINE_FUN extern inline
> #endif
>
> ... except that since GSL_VERSION is actually a string "1.x" I'm not
> sure I can do the comparison.
>
> Is there any recommended procedure for dealing with this kind of version
> compatibility in GSL?

As of this particular commit
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gsl.git/commit/?id=ffb8708d2cf636801de0b9f1f03c65a5ab0bcb13
there's a GSL_MAJOR_VERSION and GSL_MINOR_VERSION macro defined within
gsl_version.h.  I know this is in 1.14.  Offhand I can't remember it
is in 1.13 or not.  Checking for the existence of these two macros may
give you what you want since they spring into existence around the
same time frame you describe.

- Rhys