Re: [Help-gsl] cannot browse GSL's bzr repository at savannah

From: Leo Razoumov
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] cannot browse GSL's bzr repository at savannah
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:43:24 -0500

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:43, Brian Gough <address@hidden> wrote:
> Unfortunately the browsing is broken, due to problems with the web
> server, but the repository itself is fine if you checkout with bzr
> directly.  I'm trying to get the browsing fixed, rather than working
> around it, as that will benefit all projects on Savannah.
>
> --
> Brian Gough

I tried

sh$  bzr branch bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/gsl/trunk

using Ubuntu 9.04 Linux with bzr version 1.13.1 .

The attempt resulted in an error

KeyError: 'Bazaar repository format 2a (needs bzr 1.16 or later)\n'

Apparently, bzr repository format is rapidly evolving and would
require me to install new version manually (I do not want to upgrade
my Linux distro for other reasons). Git or Mercurial, on the other
hand, go to extra length to keep their internal format stable and
backward compatible.

No wonder that bzr gets little traction outside of FSF or Canonical.
I understand that decision to move to bzr is final, but might be a
kind soul would provide a bzr->git bridge.

--Leo--