[Help-gsl] Parallelization of GSL CBLAS implementation with OpenMP?

From: José Luis García Pallero
Subject: [Help-gsl] Parallelization of GSL CBLAS implementation with OpenMP?
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 17:25:11 +0100

Hello,
I don't know if this topic was discussed earlier in some of the GSL
lists. What about the possibility of the parallelization of the GSL
CBLAS implementation via OpenMP? Nowadays, the multicore processors
are the most common hardware and recent compilers (gcc since 4.2
series) supports the OpenMP standard. I think that it will be easy to
parallelize at least the CBLAS level 3 (since they perform the most
computations) functions.
Is clear that who needs powerful must use an optimised CBLAS
implementation as ATLAS or GotoBLAS (now free software under the BSD
license: http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/tacc-projects/gotoblas2/) but I
think that using OpenMP in GSL CBLAS would improve the speed of the
standard GSL distribution and it wouldn't suppose a big effort of
programming.
Attached I send a patch for the source_gemm_r.h file in order to
parallelize dgemm and sgemm functions. It is only a patch in order to
see the simplicity of adding OpenMP support. I didn't test it as now
I'm not have here a multicore here.

Thanks

José Luis García Pallero
address@hidden