Re: [Help-gsl] About create_givens and precision

From: Juan Pablo Amorocho D.
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] About create_givens and precision
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 17:37:40 +0200

Hi Miguel,

I will assume what you familiar with the basics of floating point
arithmetic. 10e-15 sounds like machine precision, so depending on what you
are exactly doing, you might be "playing with fire". I briefly looked at
strictfp on Wikipedia, and from there I understand it is supposed to help
portability. Without knowing the details of your problem it is difficult to
say what exactly is happening. But it seems to me that your problem is not
portability but of floating point (duuh!). Have you try your calculations
directly in C? How did you get to the 10e-12 threshold? If you want to
compute the machine precision you might want to take a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_epsilon#How_to_determine_machine_epsilon

I'm not sure this really helps, but...

-- Juan