[Help-gsl] monotone interpolation

From: Christian Krueger
Subject: [Help-gsl] monotone interpolation
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 19:30:56 +0000

Hi... is there any possibility to get a strictly monotone interpolation function?

I have data which for sure have to be monotone, but the provided interpolation methods (cspline, akima) do not preserve this condition (linear interpolation is not smooth and polynomial of course useless with 200+ datapoints).

I wonder whether the method of Steffen (1990) is implemented somewhere which seem to have some nice features (monotonicity, almost no spurious oscillations)? Or might it be a useful extension for GSL? Found in this paper: A simple method for monotonic interpolation in one dimension, Astron. Astrophys. 239, 443 (1990)

Regards,
Christian