Re: [Help-gsl] error handling for GSL

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] error handling for GSL
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:20:47 -0600

Hi Andrew,

> Do the individual functions in the GSL, handle errors gracefully?

Usually.  The error handling tends to be very complete.  "Graceful" is
probably in the eye of the beholder.

> I.E. function gsl_sf_bessel_jl_array calls gsl_sf_gamma, which returns a
> GSL_EUNDRFLW, does gsl_sf_bessel_jl_array handle that error, or just pass it
> on?

It may just "pass it on" which I say because of a GSL_ERROR_SELECT_2
macro appearance in the relevant source:
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gsl/trunk/annotate/head:/specfunc/bessel_j.c#L247

Grepping through the source code tends to be the best way to make
determinations about whether the error handling is sufficient for your
application's needs.

- Rhys