Re: [Help-gsl] log probability density functions

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] log probability density functions
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:06:38 +0100

On 29 March 2012 14:26, Rodney Sparapani <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm just wondering whether it's deliberate that there aren't any log
>> probability density functions in the GSL?
>
> That is a very good point.  Many other packages like R allow you to return
> the log-density rather than the density.

Yes, I use R lots as well--very useful for non-intensive bits of code.

> This would be a good addition to
> GSL.  However, I see two problems.  1) as I understand it,
> GSL is feature complete at this point.  2) after many years of great
> stewardship, Brian Gough has stepped down as maintainer and no one
> has stepped up.

Yes, I saw the recent messages from Brian.  I'm surprised nobody has
suggested taking over, there must be quite a few users of the library!

> So, you can either code your functions as a GSL
> extension or maybe you just use the R math library directly.

I tried using the R library, but I couldn't follow enough it well
enough to make use of it; the GSL API seems better designed.

Does anybody else have write access to the website where
patches/pointers could be accumulated till somebody gets the
motivation to integrate some of them?

  Sam