Re: [Help-gsl] design philosophy

From: Jerome BENOIT
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] design philosophy
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 13:32:13 +0200

Hello:

it could be also for historical reasons:
some part of the code were be written at the early stage of GSL.

On 06/05/12 20:22, Rhys Ulerich wrote:
Hi Gideon,

I'm working on a project that involves both numerical integration of a system
of ODEs and the solution of nonlinear systems of equations, and I was wondering
if there was a reason that the interfaces were not better unified.  In
particular, the ODE routines take, as arguments, double arrays, while the
nonlinear solvers use the gsl_vector data structure.  It's easy enough to map
from one to the other, but I was wondering, why not have more consistency?

 From what I have gathered by lurking on the mailing list and digging
through documentation, for logic which could be isolated from the
gsl_vector classes, double* arrays were preferred so that folks could
copy'n'paste the code without needing all of the GSL.  It is likely
the case that the nonlinear solvers require enough GSL machinery that
they could not simply be ripped out.

- Rhys

Jerome