Re: [Help-gsl] [Bug-gsl] Doubt (bug?) in gsl_fit_linear function

From: Frank Reininghaus
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] [Bug-gsl] Doubt (bug?) in gsl_fit_linear function
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:35:33 +0200

Hi,

2012/6/11 Juan Pablo Amorocho D.:
> What should be (computationally) the value of the intercept in this case?
> Nan seems right to me, but the slope /should/ be inf. Any comments?

why should the slope be inf? It could just as well be -inf, couldn't
it? In other words: the slope is undefined, in which case returning
NaN is the most sensible thing to do IMHO.

In any case, you wouldn't be able to use the slope for anything useful
later on. Note that gsl_fit_linear() tries to fit data with a function
y=m*x+b, which makes no sense at all for data points on a vertical
line.

Cheers,
Frank