Re: [Help-gsl] multidim interpolation

From: jeremy theler
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] multidim interpolation
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 22:35:49 -0300

David,

I think I had come across with your library because the link was marked as
already visited by my browser :)

Even though I found your code very attractive, what I want to do is to
interpolate arbritarily-scattered data, not only points located in a
rectangular grid. I managed to perform that task by using the idea behind the
shape functions in the finite element method, which gives pretty good results.

As a matter of fact, today I took a look at a recommendation of one of my
colleagues, that is to arrange the arbitrarily-scattered data into k-
dimensional trees to efficiently perform the nearest-neighbor interpolation. I
think tha an n-nearest-neighbor or a range-based nearest-neighbor search may
also be used to compute some inverse-square weighted sum of individual points
or to use some other scheme that provides continuous outputs.

I think, at least taking into account only my personal experience with the
subject, that multidimensional interpolation has too many caveats and that
there may be other aspects that may have more importance to be discussed
and/or implemented in GSL. However, it may be handy to have a look at this
issue, or even at k-dimensional trees as these artifacts may have other
applications as well.

--
jeremy