Re: [Help-gsl] Compiling & Testing New Interpolation Type

From: Jean-François Caron
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Compiling & Testing New Interpolation Type
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:37:22 -0700

Yes, I didn’t bother doing the integration function at the time because I was
having trouble just compiling.  I will add the integration function, and
re-write the eval and deriv/deriv2 functions to use Horner’s scheme for the
polynomials.  I can generate some comparison graphs using fake data like in
Steffen’s paper, that sounds easy enough.

I’ll look at the interpolation/test.c file and see if I can come up with
similar tests.

Thanks for offering to help with the integration into GSL itself.  I don’t know
a lot of the procedures (or even politics sometimes!) involved.

Jean-François

On Mar 20, 2014, at 10:22 , Patrick Alken <address@hidden> wrote:

> I did notice you talking about 1.6 in your earlier messages, but assumed it
> was a typo and you meant 1.16, oops.
>
> On 03/20/2014 11:11 AM, Jean-François Caron wrote:
>>
>> My original problem was that I wanted to add an interpolation type to GSL.
>> Specifically I want monotonic cubic-splines following the description in
>> Steffen (1990): http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1990A%26A...239..443S
>
> I took a quick look at your code earlier and it looks pretty nice. I noticed
> you commented out the _integ function - is this something you could add to
> make it feature complete with the other interpolation types?
>
> It is important to add automated tests for this. Can you look at
> interpolation/test.c and design similar tests for your new method? Also I
> think it would be nice to add a figure to the manual illustrating the
> differences between cubic, akima, and your new steffen method (similar to the
> figures in the Steffen paper). This would help users a lot when trying to
> decide what method to use. Do you happen to have a dataset which shows a nice
> contrast like Figs 1, 3 and 8 from that paper?
>
> When everything is ready I would be happy to add it to GSL, as we are already
> planning to update the interpolation module for the next release. When I find
> some time I want to import the 2D interpolation extension discussed
> previously, and also add Hermite interpolation.
>
> It would be easiest for us if you could clone the GSL git repository and make
> your changes there. You could make a new branch called 'steffen' or something
> and publish it to github, or just send a patch file to me, whichever is
> easiest.
>
> Patrick
>
> On Mar 19, 2014, at 18:40 , Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>> More data.  I tried the same plain build recipe, GSL 1.16 on our test
>>> machine which is at Mac OS 10.9.3.  Got another perfect build, no make
>>> check errors, no PPC-related issues.  Outputs on request, please be
>>> specific.
>>>
>>> CC=clang
>>> CFLAGS=-g
>>> ./configure --prefix /Users/dallured/Disk/3rd/gsl/1.16.os10.9
>>>
>>> mac27:~/Disk/3rd/gsl/1.16.os10.9 57> sw_vers
>>> ProductName: Mac OS X
>>> ProductVersion: 10.9.3
>>> BuildVersion: 13D17
>>>
>>> mac27:~/Disk/3rd/gsl/1.16.os10.9/src 36> \
>>> ? grep -i '# [a-z]' ../logfiles/make-check.0319a.log | sort | uniq -c
>>>  45 # ERROR: 0
>>>  45 # FAIL:  0
>>>  42 # PASS:  1
>>>   3 # PASS:  2
>>>  45 # SKIP:  0
>>>  42 # TOTAL: 1
>>>   3 # TOTAL: 2
>>>  45 # XFAIL: 0
>>>  45 # XPASS: 0
>>>
>>> mac27:~/Disk/3rd/gsl/1.16.os10.9 62> \
>>> ? grep -c -i ppc logfiles/*319a*log
>>> logfiles/configure.0319a.os10.9.log:0
>>> logfiles/install.0319a.log:0
>>> logfiles/make-check.0319a.log:0
>>> logfiles/make.0319a.log:0
>>>
>>> mac27:~/Disk/3rd/gsl/1.16.os10.9 65> \
>>> ? grep -i ppc src/config.h src/config.log src/config.status
>>> src/config.h:/* #undef HAVE_GNUPPC_IEEE_INTERFACE */
>>> src/config.log:HAVE_GNUPPC_IEEE_INTERFACE=''