Re: [Help-gsl] installation error

From: John D Lamb
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] installation error
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 17:40:47 +0100

On 15/07/14 15:32, Janaka Adassuriya wrote:
I try to install the GSL version 1.16 in my fedora 17. I found some errors
while making libraries. Here is the error generated.

The clues are in the message. It is a warning telling you that the build process cannot find makeinfo. Makeinfo is only needed for the documentation, which you probably don’t need and I suspect came from a make doc instruction.

Solutions

If this only happens with make doc ignore it and use the online documentation or whatever comes from the most recent RPM for GSL.

Install the RPM for the texinfo package and try again.

Check make version using
$ make --v
If you have GNU make (most likely) you’ll get something like
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
If you get something else, install the GNU make package, make sure it is the make used by default and try again

Install GSL 1.16 from an RPM. The main reason for compiling it yourself is to get something slightly faster. But there is a risk you’ll get some warnings when you run make check.

*/usr/local/gls/gsl-1.16/missing: line 81: makeinfo: command not
foundWARNING: 'makeinfo' is missing on your system.         You should only
need it if you modified a '.texi' file, or         any other file
indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.         You might want to
install the Texinfo package:         <http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/
<http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/>>         The spurious makeinfo call
might also be the consequence of         using a buggy 'make' (AIX, DU,
IRIX), in which case you might         want to install GNU make:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/make/
<http://www.gnu.org/software/make/>>make[1]: *** [gsl-ref.info
<http://gsl-ref.info>] Error 127make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/gls/gsl-1.16/doc'make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1*

Could you tell me how to fix this problem.

--
John D Lamb