Re: [Help-gsl] Question on Cholesky decomposition error - bspline penalt

From: Foivos Diakogiannis
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Question on Cholesky decomposition error - bspline penalty matrix
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 13:37:59 +0800

Hi Rhys,

again thanks for sending code and comments - much appreciated!!
It seems that this issue is reported by others and it must be a problem of
finite precision arithmetic, check this link :
http://mathoverflow.net/questions/108700/quantifying-the-failure-of-the-cholesky-factorization-test-for-indefinite-matric

So I'll have to trust the theoretical prediction of positive definiteness
for Omega_{ij} and work around it with exception handling (my results are
ok with this, but still need to do more tests).

Cheers,
Foivos