Re: Checking GSL for Spectroscopy

From: Fritz Sonnichsen
Subject: Re: Checking GSL for Spectroscopy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 12:58:31 -0400

Thank you Mohammad. I looked at your web page and you do exciting stuff!
Your assessment of GSL is what I needed. I think the manual is well written
and tells me what I can do with it--as you mention the higher level details
applied to a specific area of science probably require another
added package- or at least writing the software "in house". I probably will
proceed that way. One difficulty is that this code will probably eventually
get handed off to a biologist and a software engineer--so I need to try to
keep it on terms that they can maintain.
     I also need to be sure that a language (e.g. GSL) will stay around
long term---seems like that is a problem these days.  In addition I find
that a lot of the "post C" languages can get very cluttered in the wrong
hands and tend so stick with C as a science language especially for code
destined to other people (perhaps I am showing my age!).
   Regarding AI and Machine Learning it is rather new to me and I probably
will not be involved other than using openCV for image processing. I just
want to track if any of it has been accommodated by existing routines, but
I guess it is rather broad and subject to its own packages-

Cheers
Fritz