Re: Checking GSL for Spectroscopy

From: Mark Galassi
Subject: Re: Checking GSL for Spectroscopy
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 13:41:46 -0600

>      I also need to be sure that a language (e.g. GSL) [...]

Like others I'm delighted to hear of your interest in GSL, but I do need to
point out that GSL is *not* a language -- it's a library of routines that can
be called from various languages.  The most natural is C, but most widely used
VHLLs have GSL bindings.

GSL's first release was in 1996, and it continues to have solid use, so you
don't need to worry about longevity there.  And the longevity of C code is
extreme: the C standards committee is very careful about not disrupting the
possible use of old code.  As an example, I recently rebuilt GSL code from 20
years ago and it required almost no effort.