First ever GSL Technical Report (ALFs)

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: First ever GSL Technical Report (ALFs)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:36:58 -0700

Hello all,

  I have recently re-written the array versions of the Associated Legendre functions (gsl_sf_legendre) to be much more efficient. The factors in the recurrence relations are now precomputed, and they are stored in a memory layout to maximize cache efficiency. The result is a significant improvement in speed over the previous versions. I decided to write up the implementation details in a technical report, which is now available at:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/tr/tr001.pdf

This is effectively the very first GSL Technical Report. I envision these to be similar to the LAPACK working notes...useful documents to explain the details of complex algorithms in GSL for future developers and even users. Any comments on the report are welcome. I am labeling it as a draft for now, as I may update it in the future.

Best regards,

Patrick