Running guix on nixos

From: Jeff Mickey
Subject: Running guix on nixos
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 13:56:32 -0800

There is a host at work that is running nixos. I thought "hey, I'll try
doing that whole shared daemon thing".

I have not succeeded yet. The approach has been to use the same
nix-daemon, as I saw the hydra.gnu.org instance does something similar.

I ran in the following shell:

nix-shell -p coreutils findutils automake autogen gettext guile \
  pkgconfig gcc libgcrypt sqlite bzip2 graphviz gnutls help2man

And I configured with the following configure line:

./configure \
  --prefix=/home/codemac/guix \
  --with-libgcrypt-prefix=/nix/store/mrr...-libgcrypt-1.6.4 \
  --disable-daemon \
  --with-store-dir=/nix/store \
  --localstatedir=/nix/var

This built successfully but runs into the following problems:

$ guix pull
guix pull: error: failed to connect to `/nix/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': No
such file or directory

Ran sudo ln -s /nix/var/nix /nix/var/guix to get around that, but I'd
like it to look properly in the statedir when I do
--disable-daemon, so if there is a better way to do it I'm all ears.

In attempting to guix pull again, it fails to build gcc complaining:

/nix/store/xw7...-binutils-cross-boot0-2.25.1/bin/x86_64-guix-linux-gnu-ld:
cannot find -lstdc++

Is there a way to insert the boostrap binaries into the nix store? I'm
assuming that's what's happening?

Any help would be appreciated, I apologize if this is not the proper
venue.

  //  codemac