Re: How about a 'guix-test-drive.scm'

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: How about a 'guix-test-drive.scm'
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 14:40:15 +0100

myglc2 <address@hidden> skribis:

> I installed guixSD on a headless server by cloning bare-bones.scm.  So
> far, this is a highly enjoyable ride, thank you!
>
> IMHO it would be better if bare-bones.scm did not set the SSH port to
> 2222, since this tripped me up, and I am guessing it might befuddle
> others.

Oh, I see.  This #:port-number thing was here mostly to show people how
to specify options, which I think is important, and I thought that
people would quickly notice the thing.  But I don’t know!

> Another suggestion: for someone like me wanting to test drive guix
> quickly, it would sure be helpful if there was a 'guix-test-drive.scm'
> that includes emacs, guile, and everything else needed to try and enjoy
> all the cool features described in the guix INFO pages and/or shown in
> the "The Emacs of Distros" video.
>
> Further, it might be good to have two versions ...
>
> - guix-test-drive-desktop.scm
>
> - guix-test-drive-headless-server.scm - emacs set to run over both tty
>   and X11
>
> In the meantime, does anyone have any bits and pieces of such a .scm
> they would care to share?

It seems to me that it’s just a matter of adding Emacs to the ‘packages’
field no?  Or did you have anything else in mind?

Thanks,
Ludo’.