Re: Setting up plug and print on GuixSD?

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Setting up plug and print on GuixSD?
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 11:45:35 +0100

On 2016-02-01 14:43, address@hidden wrote:
address@hidden skribis:

I installed cups and xfce. What more do I need?

For printers available on the network as in a typical “enterprise”
setup, nothing more: the “print” dialog in Evince and similar tools will
discover it and do the right thing.

In
https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Services.html#Services
I did not find a service declaration for CUPS.

What is the next step?

For a locally-connected printer you’ll certainly need a CUPS daemon
running, indeed.  I’m not sure exactly what it takes, but it would
clearly be a worthwhile addition!

OK. I gave it a try and this is how far I got:
The manpages and documentation on cups.org is rather useless regarding installation and formatting of the config-files.

The package installs corrupt config-files according to
$ cupsd -t
"/gnu/store/qs3xymcsgxa68i8m188261rhxsszx7za-cups-2.1.0/etc/cups/cups-files.conf" contains errors.

I have a running working installation of cups 1.7 on my trisquel 7 machine. I tried copying the working (very similar) configs from there which the trisquel-cupsd report as 'OK'. => It did not help and the error is not as detailed as I would like and there is no debug option is seems.

Is there a good free non-apple-owned alternative to CUPS I could try instead?