Re: Any clue why $GUILE_LOAD_PATH not propagated with Haunt?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Any clue why $GUILE_LOAD_PATH not propagated with Haunt?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 23:40:51 +0100

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> Just for posterity, Dave helped me figure out what was wrong.  I missed
>>> putting guile-2.0 in my inputs.  Critical!  Well, once I did that,
>>> things were fine!
>>
>> Indeed.  However, since Haunt ships a command-line tool, we should fix
>> the Haunt package in Guix to wrap ‘bin/haunt’ such that the tool has
>> GUILE_LOAD_PATH and GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH properly set.
>>
>> Done in 4ecbf6d.  I think it should be fixed upstream though.  :-)
>
> I don't understand why this would require an upstream fix for what
> seems to be a Guix-specific quirk.  Could you elaborate?

I think stand-alone commands like ‘haunt’ should ensure that they’ll
find their modules rather than assume that the user defined
‘GUILE_LOAD_PATH’ & co. appropriately.

This is particularly important when users are likely to use exclusively
the CLI (the same is also true of ‘skribilo’, ‘guix’, ‘herd’, etc.)

Ludo’.