Re: Wired networking problems after guix system reconfigure

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Wired networking problems after guix system reconfigure
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 10:50:51 +0100

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Perfect.  To avoid modifying files in the Guix tree itself, you could
>> put this ‘linux-libre-4.3’ in a module of its own that you keep in
>> $GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH, just for your own uses.
>
> OK. I'll try that! Can you tell me why commit adddd5b updates
> Makefile.am?

It’s just because it adds new kernel configuration files.  You don’t
have to worry about that if you maintain things out of the tree.

> To help others in the future find this thread if they encounter the same
> problem, here are my wired network card specs, according to lspci:
>
> Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1520
> Network card: Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
> (rev 02)
>
> Oh, by the way: there is a wireless network card, also, but it has never
> worked (dmesg shows iwl3945 complaining: "Direct firmware load for
> /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed")), so that isn't a viable alternative for me.

Right, that means that there is no free firmware for this NIC.

I would recommend using one of the WiFi dongles that has the Respect
Your Freedom stamp, typically things based on Atheros chipsets (the
‘ath9k’ driver) for which there exists free firmware.  See for instance:

  https://www.fsf.org/news/ryf-certification-thinkpenguin-usb-with-atheros-chip

Thanks,
Ludo’.