Re: guix edit mutt -- with new option, and dependency, how I got it work

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: guix edit mutt -- with new option, and dependency, how I got it working
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 15:45:51 -0500

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 07:58:06AM +0100, Jean Louis wrote:
> Hello Leo,
>
> I was using mutt on Debian, that option was always included:
> header_cache
>
> - mutt accesses remote emails
> - this speeds up everything
> - GuixSD already includes gdbm and tokyocabinet
> - I have chosen gdbm, but testing could show if else is better
>
> Imagine, when you have 2000-3000 emails, one need to wait long time, for
> mutt to read all the headers, seconds. This way it is 1 second.
>
> It should be included by default, as GuixSD does have external database
> libraries.

I'm really glad you mentioned this on our list! My "Archive" mail folder
has ~30000 messages, and I rarely opened it because of how long it would
take Mutt to load them all. With this option enabled, it loads almost
instantly, once the cache is created.

:)

I agree that we should build our Mutt with this option enabled.

If everyone agrees, the question is which database to use — we have gdbm
and bdb in our package tree (I think tokyocabinet is a WIP). I have no
idea which database is a better choice. What do people think?