Initial installation - stuck at installing python (killing process)

From: dptdescribe
Subject: Initial installation - stuck at installing python (killing process)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 09:56:59 +0100

Hello there everyone,
For the last few days I am trying to install GuixSD on the virtual environment. I have already read few articles in this topic, official manual and even asked for help on the #guix channel. No luck so far.

Here is the process step-by-step (after preparing the VirtualMachine and adding):
  1. ifconfig enp0s3 up && dhclientenp0s3
  2. cfdisk /dev/sda
  3. mkfs.ext4 -L root /dev/sda2
  4. mount -L root /mnt
  5. mkdir /mnt/etc
  6. cp /etc/configuration/desktop.scm /mnt/etc/config.scm
  7. nano /mnt/etc/config.scm
  8. deco start cow-store /mnt
  9. guix pull
  10. guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt
Additional information:
  • connection is OK, I pinged www.google.com after enabling enp0s3
  • I divided /dev/sda to two partitions:
    • /dev/sda1 BIOS boot, 200M
    • /dev/sda2 Linux filesystem, 15.8G
  • in /mnt/etc/config.scm I changed /dev/sdX to /dev/sda

We all know that hydra is being overloaded all the time. The guix system init process is failing on random packages due to the network issues. I am rerunning the command every time. However something strange happens at python package. Every time after downloading 15.3M the process is being killed but is it?

Here is the output:
http://hydra.gnu.org/bla/bla/hash-python-2.7.10 1.3MiB/s 00:12 | 15.3MiB transferred
killing process 20890
killing process 20890: No such process

I am not returned to the command prompt after this. It is stuck that way forever. I tried it so many times already - no luck so far. Someone on #guix said that this may be the disk space issue so I created fixed disk image (rather than dynamically resizing one) and re-run the whole process. After failing with python package and running df /dev/sda2 usage is on 8% so I believe this is not the problem here.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

dptd