Re: Initial installation - stuck at installing python (killing process)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Initial installation - stuck at installing python (killing process)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 21:49:37 +0100

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 19/03/2016, dptdescribe <address@hidden> wrote:
>> We all know that hydra is being overloaded all the time. The guix system
>> init process is failing on random packages due to the network issues. I am
>> rerunning the command every time. However something strange happens at
>> python package. Every time after downloading 15.3M the process is being
>> killed but is it?
>
> It's not you, it's Hydra.
>
> I got the same error (also consistently at 15.3M) yesterday. I suspect
> an incompletely cached file in the front end, but that's just a guess.
> Maybe someone else knows.

I don’t ;-), but could you give the exact URL that’s failing for you?
I’d be happy to investigate.

Now, I think dptdescribe is not using the mirror at all, but directly
talking to hydra.gnu.org.

dptdescribe, could you try something like:

  guix system init config.scm /mnt \
    --substitute-urls=http://mirror.hydra.gnu.org

This mirror should be more responsive than hydra.gnu.org, although
substitutes could also be missing from there.

Thanks,
Ludo’.