Re: to Guix or to Nix

From: Saša Janiška
Subject: Re: to Guix or to Nix
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 14:57:11 +0200

> No idea.  I would suggest checking h-node.org or similar to see if free
> firmware exists.

OK. Based on

https://h-node.org/ethernetcards/view/en/315/Realtek-Semiconductor-Co---Ltd--RTL8111-8168B-PCI-Express-Gigabit-Ethernet-controller--rev-06-/1/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/undef/8168

it should work and I see that kernel driver 8169 is used, but still
wonder why firmware for 8168 from non-free package is used…

> Unfortunately, ZFS is unlikely to ever be available, unless Oracle
> changes its license:

I see…

> Currently GuixSD is somewhat limited to ext4.  We will eventually lift
> this limitation, but for now, that’s we have.

OK.

> So Guix as a project will not provide advice as to how to put yourself
> in a trap.

:-)

> But that’s fine!  :-)  There are probably free software alternatives that
> you could use and help people improve.  For instance, you might want to
> look into Ring <https://ring.cx/>, and maybe provide a Guix package for
> it.  I’m sure people on #guix would be happy to help, and your work
> would benefit everyone.

Thanks a lot for the Ring link…I was totally unaware of it. :-(

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The work of a man who is unattached to the modes of material
nature and who is fully situated in transcendental knowledge