Re: Arch Linux locale-gen tries to use /run/current-system

From: Myles English
Subject: Re: Arch Linux locale-gen tries to use /run/current-system
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 19:20:04 +0100

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately that computer has come to the end
of its natural life so I can't investigate any further.  I will be sure
to try nix on my new build.

Alex Kost writes:

> Myles English (2016-05-12 02:52 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying guix on Arch Linux.  While updating the system package to
>> glibc 2.23 I get this error:
>>
>> $ locale-gen
>> Generating locales...
>>   en_GB.UTF-8...cannot create temporary file:
>>   /run/current-system/locale/2.22/locale-archive.nfq78F: No such file or
>>   directory
>
> "locale-gen" script runs "localedef" command (which is from "glibc"
> package).  So I think that the Guix's localedef is started.  My guess is
> you installed "glibc" into your guix user profile, and
> "~/.guix-profile/bin" takes preference over other directories in your
> $PATH.  Could you check "which localedef"?
>
> If it's true, why did you install glibc in your profile?  I think it is
> not needed.

Not sure, I did have some installation difficulties at "2.6 Application
Setup"[fn:1] where "guix package -i glibc-locales" did not work first
time, I forget the details though.

> OTOH if my guess is correct, this environment problem should happen only
> for your user, but the root user shouldn't have localedef in its PATH.
> So you probably keep your user environment during system update (maybe
> with "sudo -E pacman -S ..." or something similar), right?  How did you
> start pacman?

I think you are right and I had environment variables set in my .zshrc
that I shouldn't have.

Myles

Footnotes:

[fn:1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html