Re: M-x guix bug

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: M-x guix bug
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:38:47 +0300

John J Foerch (2016-06-29 04:43 +0300) wrote:

>> Hi!
>>
>> John J Foerch <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> On a fresh guix installation with only a few packages installed, M-x
>>> guix in emacs produced the following error:
>>>
>>>   Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, magit-popup
>>>
>>> It seems that guix's emacs components have an unlisted magit dependency.
>>
>> The dependency is documented (info "(guix) Emacs Initial Setup"), but
>> note that it’s only necessary if you use the M-x guix popup.
>>
>> Without magit-popup, you can still use M-x
>> guix-newest-available-packages, M-x guix-prettify-mode, M-x
>> guix-licenses, and so on.
>
> Okay, good to know.  I think that a helpful message instead of an error
> would be appropriate, or perhaps some way of not exposing the 'guix'
> command if magit is not installed.

I think the right thing would be to make "M-x guix" work by default.
This can be done simply by adding 'magit-popup' dependency (i.e., by
adding it to 'propagated-inputs') to our 'guix' package.  But if I
understood correctly, Ludovic wouldn't like to do it:
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00576.html>

--
Alex