Re: 'guix system vm' questions

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: 'guix system vm' questions
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 09:47:42 -0400

> myglc2 <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> In your operating system configuration, you can pass 'initialize? #f' to
>>> lsh-service to skip the SSH seed and host-key initialization. You will
>>> need to initialize the LSH service later, before you can use it.
>>
>> I tried that and ... lsh spun looking for a seed file advising me to run
>> 'lsh-make-seed', and then stopped.
>
> Yeah this is expected: lshd won’t start if it cannot find a seed;
> eventually, the Shepherd…
>
>> Service SSH-daemeon has started.
>> No seed file. Please create on by running
>> lwh-make-seed -o "/var/spool/lsh/yarrow-seed-file".
>> lshd: No rendomness generator available.
>> Service ssh-daemon has been disabled.
>>   (Respawning too fast.)
>
> … disables it.
>
>> v1 login: root
>> address@hidden ~# lsh-make-seed
>> -bash: lsh-make-seed: command not found
>
> I guess ‘lsh-service-type’ should be changed to extend
> ‘profile-service-type’ such that this command is available.  WDYT?

Well I can't see how it will help in my use case. I can't think of why
it would be useful in practice, since lsh-make-seed is already being
called with --sloppy by 'ssh-service initialize? #t'.

The only reasons I can think of are ...

- to enable a user at the console to manually reproduce what
   'ssh-service initialize? #t' does, and

- to avoid it being reported as a bug

... which is why I didn't report it as a bug.

Re my use case, am I correct in believing that the only way to address
it is to enhance lsh-service with an alternative initialization scheme
that does not require console input?

If so, maybe we should rename the current initialize to ...

INITIALIZE-REQUIRING-CONSOLE-INPUT?

... and add a new one named ...

INITIALIZE-UNATTENDED?

WDYT? - George