Re: Reproducible bootstrapping

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Reproducible bootstrapping
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 10:11:12 +0200

t3sserakt <address@hidden> skribis:

> I was talking about reproducible builds like it is mentioned here:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/663954/

Currently a large fraction (no exact figure yet) of the packages are
bit-reproducible, but it’s not 100%.  For example, the .go files
produced by Guile are not bit-reproducible yet, due to
<http://bugs.gnu.org/20272>.

I haven’t checked recently whether the packages involved in
‘bootstrap-tarballs’ are bit-reproducible.  It would be useful.

However, note that the bootstrap binaries we currently use¹ were built
in 2013 for the most part.  To rebuild them, you would need to do that
from a Guix checkout of that time.

I hope this answers your question.

Ludo’.

¹ ftp://alpha.gnu.org:/gnu/guix/bootstrap