Re: AUR for GuixSD (was: GuixSD on arm (ng0))

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: AUR for GuixSD (was: GuixSD on arm (ng0))
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 12:41:25 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for the info. I do maintain my private packages using
GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH too.

So how rigid are you on the gnu system thing? Was jookia right that
you won't accept patches that will make guixsd a gnu system or
something else? ;-) I did some work on using musl as a libc on nixos
for embedded systems, I came here because I thought it was more
hackable. I guess if you're not interested in uboot, this is a non
starter...

> This also means that we do not welcome recommendations to use non-free
software on the mailing lists or the #guix IRC channel.

Does this mean you prefer people not to use the "gnu system" then to
use it with non-free firmware? I prefer free firmware to non-free
firmware too, but one has the hardware that one has. I think I saw a
webgui to guix somewhere, that means that at least some people have
the ambition of getting non developers as users at some point right? I
think telling non developers to go buy this wifi card if you want to
use the gnu system or else we won't help you is kind of not very
user-friendly.

But anyway these are just my opinions and I didn't really want to
start a discussion on a non technical topic though. Don't really know
why I replied in the first place, guess I was a little shocked by
Jookias email.