Re: GuixSD on arm

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GuixSD on arm
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 13:47:49 +0200

Hi!

Jookia <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 10:23:07AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> > - GNUness over pragmatism.
>> >
>> > The main issue I had with doing an ARM port is the bootloader, and this is
>> > because everyone I spoke to except Ludovic seemed to be hesitant towards
>> > using a
>> > bootloader other than GRUB.
>>
>> I wrote repeatedly that using U-Boot is fine, especially if GRUB doesn’t
>> work on this platform.
>
> I know that's your stance on it, but there's multiple maintainers on Guix and
> multiple people to talk about the issue, especially if I need help or review
> on
> code. It's unsettling emotionally to see different people, especially
> authority
> figures who work with the code and decide what's useful or not, giving mixed
> answers as to what direction things should be taken. Implementing something
> that
> only one developer approves of makes me question if it really is the right
> approach or worth people's time.

I don’t remember anyone rejecting the idea of using U-Boot per se.

BTW, formally I’m currently the only maintainer.  However, I think most
decisions should be (and indeed are) based on consensus among active
contributors (developers and people who participate in discussions.)
That can introduce delays in the short term, but I think it makes the
whole project stronger in the long run.

Cheers,
Ludo’.