Re: new GuixSD version?

From: Ethan Stefan Day
Subject: Re: new GuixSD version?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 00:45:49 -0400

On 07/19/2016 11:55 PM, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 05:36:50PM -0400, Ethan Stefan Day wrote:
>> Will be a new version of GuixSD installation image once the dust settles
>> from the Hydra outage and the Sourceforge URL issue?  I ask because as I
>> understand it, it will be impossible to install from that image without
>> running 'guix pull' inside the installer, and I think I recall someone
>> on guix-devel saying to not do that.
>
> Can you clarify why you think it would be impossible to install from the
> 0.10.0 GuixSD image? Hopefully that's not the case...

The installer requires additional software to be downloaded.  I have not
checked to see if this is actually the case, but it seems likely that
there is an intersection between the set of packages required to be
downloaded at install time, the set of packages whose binaries were lost
in the Hydra failure, the set of packages affected by the Sourceforge
URL issue, and the set of packages whose hashes have changed since
GuixSD 0.10.0 was released.  If that is the case, then there exists a
package P such that:
-The installer requires P to proceed.
-Hydra does not have the binary for P (it is silently ignoring bad URLs).
-The '--fallback' option for 'guix system init' will not work because of
the bad URLs.  (although I think the intent was for users to not have to
use that anyway)

If my concern is based on accurate understanding, I would be willing to
test it.  I was about to reinstall GuixSD on metal for unrelated reasons.

-Ethan Day