Re: Kernel module arguments and custom /proc settings

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Kernel module arguments and custom /proc settings
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 22:47:36 +0200

Adam Bolte <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have a machine that always overheats running GuixSD, and I would
> like the fans to constantly run at maximum until I can find a better
> solution.
>
> The kernel module that enables fan control is thinkpad_acpi (which is
> always loaded automatically), howerver manual fan control only works
> if I set the module fan_control=1 argument when it loads. So I'm
> looking for the equivalent of /etc/modprobe.d/ on Debian.
>
> The module creates /proc/acpi/ibm/fan, which I can then write to (if
> fan_control=1 was set) with the appropriate fan speed. I want to run
> the equivalent of the following on boot:
>
> # echo level full-speed > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
>
> In Debian this can be done by dropping the configuration into
> /etc/sysctl.d/.
>
> Is there a way to edit my config.scm file to make the above changes?

Not really.

Looking at libkmod, it seems that /run/modprobe.d is automatically
scanned, like /etc/modprobe.d on Debian.  Could you try writing the
following in /run/modprobe.d/fan.conf:

options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1

and then rebooting?

If everything goes well, this .conf file will be taken into account when
udev asks to load ‘thinkpad_acpi’.

Eventually we should provide a way to specify /run/modprobe.d entries
via the ‘operating-system’ config, though.

HTH!

Ludo’.