Re: How to install an old package version?

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: How to install an old package version?
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 21:20:55 +0800

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm curious about how to install an old package version with guix.
>
> Example for what I mean:
>
> In e.g Debian, the list of available packages is separate from apt-get
> (et al.). So I can query all available versions of a package and
> install the version I need:
>
> $ apt-cache madison nginx
> nginx | 1.9.10-1~bpo8+3 | http://debian.mirror.lrz.de/debian/
> jessie-backports/ma
> nginx | 1.6.2-5+deb8u2 | http://security.debian.org/
> jessie/updates/main amd64 Pa
>
> Now in guix, the list of available packages is build into guix, there
> is no external cache. So how can I e.g. install python-2.7.10 after I
> installed guix 0.11.0, which only defines python-2.7.11?

All definitions (like debian's dsc) of packages are in the guix
git reposiroy.  You can clone it, checkout to any commit, build it,
and then run `pre-inst-env guix package -i ...' there to install
packages at that commit.  Note that guix hydra only has binary caches
for latest builds, so the old packages will be built from sources.

You can also 'guix pull --url=...' to update (or downgrade) the
package definitions from a tarball, which can be generated from the
git repository by `git archive'.