Re: Several questions on Guix(SD)

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Several questions on Guix(SD)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 23:03:32 +0200

Leo, thank you for your answers. I would like some more clarifications:

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 17:49:21 -0400
Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:

> >  * Is there a log for the deamon? I only found the
> >    "/var/log/guix/drvs", which seam to be only logs of each
> > compilation. BTW, what do the two letters of the subfolders mean?
>
> The log output of the daemon goes wherever your daemons normally log
> to. On most recent versions of the major distros, this is handled by
> systemd / journald.

My distro in that case is GuixSD, using shepherd. So I found information
about guix-daemon start and stop events in /var/log/shepherd.log. But I
want some more information about the daemon. Is guix-daemon so silent?

I figured out that I can (modify-services %base-services ...) for
adding the "--debug" extra-options to guix-daemon. Still I see only
start/stop log entries in shepherd.log. What am I missing?

> >  * Is there a list of builds available that are not reproducible?
> > Or is that (eq? _ '()) ?
>
> We don't have much infrastructure for tracking reproducible builds
> yet. Help wanted!
>
> We do have `guix challenge`, for challenging a binary substitute
> server. Also, packages can be built with '--rounds=x' and '--check',
> which repeat the build and compare the outputs to see if they are
> bit-for-bit identical.

So you mean you can't tell which builds are not reproducible? Couldn't
Hydra just build each package two times? Or does that cost too much?

Björn