Re: [UX] real names exposed

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: [UX] real names exposed
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 19:11:10 -0400

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 02:25:49PM -0400, Troy Sankey wrote:
> I understand why this happens:
>
>   % khal --help
>   Usage: .khal-real [OPTIONS] COMMAND [ARGS]...
>   [...]
>
> but I think it sorta sucks for user experience.  Just thought I'd point this
> out, and I was wondering if there were any ideas to address this.
>
> Specifically, argv[0] references the name of the "real" executable, rather
> than
> the guix wrapper.  This is almost always benign, but it looks ugly in help
> menus.

I wonder if the Khal author (Christian) intends for users to rename the
executable. Otherwise, why use argv[0]? Is it some side-effect of a
documentation tool used by Khal?

I would understand if khal and ikhal were the same executable, and
behavior was changed based on argv[0], but that's not the case.

It does look ugly.