Re: StumpWM package doesn't work

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: StumpWM package doesn't work
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:53:16 +0100

Andy Patterson <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:43:23 +0100
> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>
>> address@hidden (宋文武) skribis:

>> > It's in the "bin" output of sbcl-stumpwm package, you can get it
>> > with:
>> >
>> > guix package -i sbcl-stumpwm:bin
>>
>> It might be clearer to have an “out” and a “lib” output (instead of
>> “bin” and “out”).  WDYT, Andy & 宋文武?
>
> I think that would basically shift the awkwardness from package
> installation over to package development, since it would then be
> required that all dependants of stumpwm use the lib output in the
> inputs field (but only on sbcl? - since ecl binaries aren't supported
> just yet).

OK but there’s only one dependent:

$ guix refresh -l sbcl-stumpwm
A single dependent package: sbcl-stumpwm-with-slynk-0.9.9

So I think it would be preferable to do it the way I suggest, no?

> I think the best way to clarify things would be to merge the outputs,
> although this carries a ~61MiB (~11MiB compressed) extra cost. In the
> case of stumpwm, I guess that the library isn't all that useful without
> the binary, so that might be ok.

Could be an option, but not great.

> Another alternative would be to create a separate package like with
> sbcl-stumpwm-with-slynk.
>
> I think what might be at the root of the issue though is that multiple
> outputs aren't discoverable enough. The page at
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/package-list.html> doesn't list them
> AFAICT, and entering guix package -i sbcl-stumpwm into a shell and
> mashing tab only lists one entry for the package, when I think it
> should be two.

Good points!  We can certainly address these two issues quite easily.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.