Re: Hosting a GuixSD server on commodity hosting platforms, a journey

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Hosting a GuixSD server on commodity hosting platforms, a journey
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 19:51:11 +0000

On 02/12/16 04:06, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
Except, oops!  This won't boot.  We need to put GRUB on it.

Well here's where I'm stuck for tonight.  I don't know exactly what's
needed; maybe either the -b flag, or --grub2-mbr, or some combination.
The man page is a little bit overwhelming (I mean, xorrisofs is clearly
featureful, credit there):

  https://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/man_1_xorrisofs.html

But how do I generate the right GRUB stuff to put there?  Can I pull it
off the USB image?  Generate it separately?

This web page is very long but appears to have the appropriate info (and
unfortunately requires running arbitrary javascript to even render):

  http://lukeluo.blogspot.com/2013/06/grub-how-to-2-make-boot-able-iso-with.html

... so I guess the next steps are following roughly what's described at
the bottom of the page?

I wonder how other distros do this step.

Thanks for looking in to this Chris! I'm using Bytemark for personal servers, and have tried and failed to install Guix from a Debian live cd. But, they do support installing from arbitrary ISO images, this would be great to get working.

The bash script which I guess Nix uses looks quite short [1], you might find some useful inspiration there.

1: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/nixos/lib/make-iso9660-image.sh