Re: Microkernel & guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Microkernel & guix
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 16:51:49 +0100

Hello!

Thanks for sharing!  I’m aware of the developments, and I think each of
them brings a lot.

There’s also this thing called “GNU/Hurd”.  ;-)  People like to make fun
of it, and indeed there’s a lot to be said on how the project used to be
unable to publish releases, or how it lacked drivers.

But I think that (1) the situation has improved (on the driver side, it
now uses Rump for sound and networking drivers), and (2) few people
realize that it’s the most practical of all these microkernel-based OS
projects: it has all the GNU user-land software and a full POSIX
personality, which in turn means that today it can run GNOME, KDE,
IceCat, LibreOffice, and whatnot.  To me that’s an important feature.

My 2¢.  :-)

Ludo’.