Re: How to install guix without root permission

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: How to install guix without root permission
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 15:18:00 +0100

Hullo,

On 06/01/17 14:59, rohit yadav wrote:
> ​Thanks for the reply. ​The proot (https://proot-me.github.io/) project
> allows you to map $HOME/gnu/store to /gnu/store etc. However, where I am
> struggling is the guixbuild users and group creation, and running guix
> daemon.

I do exactly that as regular user on a shared shell server.

I haven't used it for a while, so I'll have to take another look at how
exactly. Not today. Try it, I'd say. It's possible. It's a heck of a
hack, but it works, and it's fun! :-)

It avoids the drawbacks mentioned by Ludo', except for the lack of hard
build isolation: I just used --disable-chroot to side-step the build
user group issue. There may be ways around that too.

Good luck,

T G-R