Re: Package Installation Queries

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Package Installation Queries
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 11:00:37 +0100

Hello!

Carlo Zancanaro <address@hidden> skribis:

> I install all of my Emacs packages via Guix, but in an usual way. I have
> written a script which takes in a list of Emacs packages that I want to
> install, then uses the Elpa importer to generate a Guix package (the
> scheme data structure) which I can build using `guix package -f`. Each
> time I run the script it pulls the most recent version on Melpa, so it's
> not reproducible, but I get the ability to use Guix for roll-backs (and
> in theory I think I could archive my configuration and import it on
> another machine, but I haven't tried that).

It has pros and cons as you write, but I think it’s a neat hack!

I’ve been thinking we should have a way to hook importers and updaters
directly to the command-line interface to facilitate this kind of
experimentation.  Say:

  guix package --importer=elpa -i something

which would import ‘something’ and its dependencies on the fly.

Ludo’.