Re: GuixSD installation: binary vs source packages

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: GuixSD installation: binary vs source packages
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 22:23:13 -0500

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 03:12:26PM -0500, myglc2 wrote:
> Thanks. I think the issue with this feature is that there is no guidance
> for picking an URL.
>
> Here is an idea... What if hydra provided an URL guidance page?  For
> example, it could have a short list of "guix greatest hits URLs" for
> which, hopefully, a full set of substitutes is maintained. Obvious
> candidates for this list would be the last couple install images. Or, it
> could provide a page ranking URLs by release date and showing substitute
> coverage.

Don't the examples in the manual provide some guidance about how to use
the feature? I meant to make it clear that you can ask the server for a
snapshot of a release tag.

Currently we don't have the capacity to keep substitutes spanning
multiple release tags.

I don't have the knowledge to evaluate the possibility of ranking
commits by substitute coverage.