Re: [GuixSD] Extremely low framerate on desktop.

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GuixSD] Extremely low framerate on desktop.
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 11:59:18 +0000

Hi,

On 17-02-28 01:44:07, Matthew Brooks wrote:
> On the Gnome desktop (and also, "Gnome on Xorg"), I seem to be getting
> an average of about one frame per second with just the basic desktop
> up, which makes the system essentially unusable.
> glxgears *says* it's running at 160 FPS, but the screen is quite
> clearly only updating maybe 3-5 times per second, so I have no idea
> where it's getting 160 from. Additionally, even without the
> proprietary Nvidia drivers, I've usually gotten several thousand FPS
> on glxgears in other distros, so such a low number is *really* weird.
> My monitor's refresh rate is 60, so it's not being capped by that.
>
> XFCE is at least usable, but attempting to play even a 480p video
> results in a slideshow, rather than a video. glxgears reports only
> ~120 FPS here, but actually moves smoothly, unlike under Gnome.

This reads like your GPU requires a binary blob, but I can't say for
sure as I can't use a webbrowser to verify this.
I've tried some cards I have, the only one which is acceptable (and
still would require a blob) is GeForce 7300GS. Some other ATI and NVidia
cards are terrible, and I got rid of the the mainboards which could be
used with the PCI and AGP cards I have.

So if it is indeed because of a blob (someone else could be able to
verify this) you have two options:

Option one, probably not supported here but with some search you can
find out how to do it* nevertheless: Use the vanilla linux kernel and/or
some other option to make linux-libre let you use the blob.

Option two: look into other cards which would work. But as I said, I'm
not sure wether there is a problem with blobs at all, so verify first.

*github, gitlab, personal blogs, etc.